Have you ever seen a rat? Yes, of course you have. But have you ever seen a rat in your dreams? Yes? (Weird). What does it signify? PsycholoGenie gives you an interesting interpretation of what’s in store for you, if you see rats in your dreams!
Did you know?
Seeing animals or birds in dreams is actually a reflection of our natural instincts. They represent our intuitive self, so as to help us envision a social aspect of our lives.
Interpretation of dreams is a subject of choice, but it indeed is interesting. Most of us have vivid, random, strange dreams. So strange, that sometimes we end up seeing animals, and as weird as rats in our dreams! However, the whole scene of seeing an animal in your dream can get interestingly confusing at times.
Have you seen the animated movie Ratatouille, where the hero is not human, but a rat! The movie is a sweet story about a rat who could cook. I loved the movie, and the rat, but only in the movie. If you talk to me about rats in real life, I am going to freak out.
Thankfully, my only encounter with a rat was in a dream. And hell, it was scary. Why would I see a rodent in my dream, of all the things (I might as well see Brad Pitt or a vacation in Hawaii!). As curiosity made me uneasy, I decided to understand all that I could about seeing rats in dreams! Here is an insight on all that the dream could mean.
“There Was a Rat in My Dream, and What Does it Mean?”
Interpretations about dreams are extremely subjective. Not all people will have the same perspective and thinking, so the pattern of the dream, the reason for its occurrence or recurrence, will be different. It will all depend on the way you think about the subject or object that you see in your dreams. Try and ask yourself all possible questions related to the dream. Interpretations and the message in the dream may vary with even the slightest change in each person’s perception about the object in the dream.
Are you scared of rats? Or do you like them?
Do you associate any specific thing, person, or event with rats?
Do you have a good memory or bad memory related to or involving rats?
Most people are afraid of rats, though others love them and have them as pets too. So with the feeling associated with your mind and rats, is the major element defining what your dream signifies.
“I Don’t Like Rats. They Scare the Hell Out of Me!”
In this case, if you fear rats, the dream may signify:
- Most negative feelings that are repressed, surface with dreams. A rat generally comes out in the dark, it shuns the daylight. So, here it defines feelings that gnaw away at you inside, your insecurities, anxieties, worries, and self-questioning. You may be feeling sick, negative, jealous, or guilty. It indicates the thoughts that are eating you from inside.
- Rats also represent unwanted or unworthy thoughts. They are indicative of feelings that you may not be socially acceptable; like those related to sexual desire. You may be remembering an evil or repulsive someone or something.
- We often say, ‘being a rat, or rat on someone, or smell a rat’. Your dream may also signify an underhand activity carried out for materialistic gains, without revealing the real motive. Something done that is eating you up on the inside, or a sign of guilt.
- A rat is looked upon as dirty. In dreams, they can point out to the unwanted and negative or threatening things that are going on in your life, which you may be unaware about. Perhaps a disloyal partner/ friend/ colleague.
- Rats not only indicate other people in your life who are being disloyal or coward, but dreaming about rats can also happen if you are ‘behaving like a rat’; like running away from reality and situations when difficulties arise.
- It means that there is a person in your life that cannot be trusted. It may also be a pun on someone who is a rat! A person who does things behind your back. You may be feeling intuitive about the difficulties in love and relationships.
- A black rat signifies covert activities, deceit, and also decay, repulsion, dirtiness, and even death. It also signifies cheating or stealing, and even backstabbing. As mentioned above, you may be betrayed by a certain someone in your life.
“The Rat Was Biting/Nibbling My Feet!”
To dream about a rat nibbling or biting your feet only symbolizes the rat race a person may be experiencing in real life.
“I Love Rats! And I Saw One in My Dream!”
- For those people who love rats or have pet rats, seeing a rat in your dream is a good sign. Seeing a white rat signifies success, protection, good love, and sweet relationships ahead.
- White rats also represent underhanded or wrong behavior by others or yourself, but that which has a good motive. You may deal with a tense situation with intelligence and ease. It also indicates help from an unexpected source.
- Seeing a blue rat is symbolic to memories or events related to people who have broken your trust, but are trying to gain it back. For example; a partner who has cheated you, but is now trying to make it up and gain your trust.
“I Saw a Dead Rat in My Dream! / I Killed a Rat in My Dream!”
- A dead rat may indicate your fears about a frightful or difficult situation you are facing in real life. And taking this into consideration, it is indicative of letting go or the end of that situation; especially if it involves a betraying or difficult relationship.
- If you see yourself killing a rat or catching a rat, it indicates a warning sign in love and friendship.
Seeing rats in dreams may mean different things to different people. A rat in a dream may also have cultural connections. For example, in the Chinese culture, a rat symbolizes the first sign of the zodiac, which represents a positive trait. In Hindu mythology, rats have a holy association.
So, we know that seeing a rat in a dream may have various interpretations and meanings. Whether we believe in these or just let the dream dissolve as a part of our imagination, is a personal choice. All that we can say is, don’t freak out or make a big deal about what it indicates. A dream, at the end of the day, is just a dream after all!