INFJs are also known as The Counselors while INFPs have names like―The Idealists, The Dreamers, and The Harmonizer Clarifiers.
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) defines 16 personalities based on the theory of Carl Jung about personality types, that covers most categories of people―their gestures, their decisions, their reactions, their perception about surroundings! Everyone has a type and it is important to analyze our behavior, which can guide us to make the right decisions. But truly speaking, there is no sure-shot test that can define your personality type entirely. The results can be misleading if you don't answer the test questions sincerely.
One such confusion most people encounter is knowing if they are INFJ or INFP! Since the two types are idealists, many people feel they are alike (rather on a superficial level!). Another reason for creating haze is that the test besides showing your preferences, also displays a numeric value as the strength of preference. So an INFJ with low P can also be an INFP with low J.
All the differences between INFJs and INFPs is due to the lifestyle dimension to Jung's typological model added by Myers and Briggs, that identifies preference of people towards the outer world. It says that people either use the judging function (J) or their perceiving function (P) when reacting to the outside world. The FJ types are empathetic, and they like to "have matters settled", while the FPs are sensitive and perceptive. Personalities like INFJ and INFP are too complex to be understood, and there's more to differentiate between them. Well, let's get the journey started.
INFJ Vs. INFP
|I - Introverted
N - iNtuitive
F - Feeling
J - Judging
● People with judging function (J) in their personality type prefer to get matters settled and have detailed plans to achieve goals.
|I - Introverted
N - iNtuitive
F - Feeling
P - Perceiving
● People with perceiving function (P) in their personality type prefer to keep all options in their hand. They like to improvise, make additions and appreciate surprises.
|● Silent, secretive, deep thinkers, and believers of hard work, dosed with inspiration. They are scrupulous, and value relationships.
● They share a complex mix of traits: Although they are soft-spoken, they have their set of beliefs, and would fight endlessly for something they believe in.
● Their personality has a depth, such a complex persona that people who actually know them also can't gauge their actions and moves.
|● Poetic, sage-like people with altruistic attitude.
● These are highly self-expressive, calm and reserved, but internally they are flooded with passion and desire to better their self more. They use metaphors and idioms while conversing, revealing their beauty.
● For them, it's important to keep their inner self happy, which is reflected in their external affairs. They would find something good even in the worst of situations.
● Great listeners
|● Very Creative
● Seek and value harmony
● Passionate and energetic
● Dedicated and hardworking
● Good communicators
● Extremely secretive
● Too sensitive, can burn out easily
● Get restless if there are no goals
● Too idealistic
● Too selfless/altruistic
● Too private, reserved, and self-conscious
● Takes everything personally
|● The most important thing for INFJs is maintaining genuine relationships with people they care and love.
● They are spontaneous in their relationships, and use their insights and experience along with love to surprise their partner.
● Relationships with INFJs can never be shallow. They are not afraid to show their love, and expect the same level of commitment from their partner.
● Talking about intimacy, INFJs seek for a connection that goes beyond the walls of physicality, comprehending spiritual as well as emotional rapport with their partner.
|● INFPs love the idea of being in love and relationships. They feel they are better off with someone who makes them happier, than being alone.
● They have an 'ideal partner' in their imagination, and so they keep comparing their fantasized image with their current love interest.
● They respect what their partner proposes. They are ready to change and grow, and become better.
● INFPs take time out to understand their partner's needs, and use their creativity to satisfy their partner's intimate desires.
|Their Compatibility With Each Other|
|✦ So do they fit in the 'like attracts like' category, or suit the conventional 'opposites attract' if their personality types are considegreen in depth? The good part is that both the parties are empathetic, they understand feelings of people and so they would empathize each other well. They both like to live in peace and harmony.
✦ Let's talk about the bad part now. Since this is an Introversion-Introversion pair, one of the two has to play the role of an extrovert, like for taking initiatives, starting a conversation, and likewise.
✦ Plus, we have the difference in J and P functions which is likely to create problems in their relationship. After a certain time, the Perceiving partner may get a feeling that the Judging partner is behaving arrogantly superior, as they are the ones who plan all the meetings, dates, food, etc. Judging partners, unintentionally, enforce decisions which won't be tolerated by Perceiving partners, after a certain limit.
|● INFJs avoid situations where they have the possibilities of being in limelight. They like their things to work behind the scenes. They would not like to officially declare their relationship in front of the world.
● An INFJ would never clearly open up about his problems, and in fact they would withdraw themselves instead of sharing or reacting.
|● INFPs have contrasting features-shy, yet curious! They like to be in limelight, and be treated as an official girlfriend/boyfriend publicly. Otherwise, they get an ignogreen feeling.
● On the other hand, an INFP would give instant reactions to situations, failing to control emotions, but in an urge to mend it.
|● A living that encompasses their values and principles is more important that earning money.
● Their desire to help and assist people makes them opt for fields like healthcare, wherein they have options - coaches, doctors, counselors and psychiatrists, guiding people through spiritual attainment, priest, human resources professional, etc.
● No doubt, they are good at auditing and accounting, but they won't get self-satisfaction in such a job. They'll be happier in work that involves art and creativity - musicians, designers, photographers.
|● INFPs want to earn people's heart than earning money.
● They say that, an INFP is born to become an author. So the feasible choices that INFP has and opts are-freelance writers, bloggers, editors, journalists, teachers/professors, librarians, philosophers, etc.
● Owing to their selfless attitude, they put people's need and desires ahead of them. This can make them go for some service careers like - physiotherapist, nutritionist, speech therapist, counselor, social worker, etc.
● They can express their inner self by going to become - writers of course, dancers, painters, musicians.
● Jimmy Carter
● Mahatma Gandhi
● Martin Luther King
● Mother Teresa
● Nelson Mandela
● Nicole Kidman
|● C. S. Lewis
● J. R. R. Tolkien
● Johnny Depp
● Lisa Kudrow
● Tom Hiddleston
● William Shakespeare
We hope that you have sorted out whether your inclination is towards INFJ or INFP! "We are same same but different!' is what is apt for these two personality types.