Saliva drug test is one of the most common procedures for detecting drug abuse in potential users. Read about facts regarding drug tests using mouth swabs in the following Buzzle article.
Testing for the presence of drugs, especially narcotics, in the body or drug testing is a method of detecting the presence and quantity of a particular drug in an individual’s biological system. This is done to determine as well as distinguish chronic drugs users, and such a revelation helps in curbing drug abuse and extending help in the form of drug rehabilitation to victims of long term drug addiction. It may also be included in the drug testing protocols conducted by organizations while recruiting new employees.
Drug tests may be conducted in a lot of ways, depending upon which drug’s presence or absence is to be tested and what sample of the human body is most likely to retain traces of such drug for the longest period of time! Saliva drug test or mouth swab drug test involves testing for drugs using a saliva sample from the examinee’s mouth. Let’s check out some interesting facts about testing for drugs using a mouth swab.
Facts About Saliva Drug Test
The following saliva drug test facts will tell you everything you need to know about which drugs can be detected by this test, how recent intakes can be traced and much more.
- A swab test is effective for detecting drugs like alcohol, PCP, methamphetamine, ecstasy, barbiturates, amphetamines, opiates, benzodiazepines, cocaine, and cannabis.
- The time period within which this test can accurately detect consumption of any of these drugs, starting from the time after consumption, differs for different drugs. For instance, alcohol can be detected within 12 hours from the time of intake; while opiates can be detected from an hour post consumption to 3-10 days after it, depending on the length and dose.
- A saliva drug test is capable of detecting multiple drugs’ presence in the sample at the same time. It can detect up to five to six different drugs within a single test sample.
- Conducting a saliva drug test is way cheaper than testing hair or blood samples for the presence of drugs.
- Many types of saliva drug test kits are available in the market. The sample is collected by directly placing the kit in the mouth of the examinee and this requires no privacy or intrusive procedure. The modern saliva drug testing kits provide on-site drug screening within 15minutes, which leads to quick analysis and interpretation of the test results.
- Saliva drug testing is a highly portable procedure, and can be conducted at any location. That is why this method of testing for drugs is very popular for conducting random drug testing in schools, college campuses, and office premises.
- Since it is conducted under strict supervision, and can be done in a room full of people, there is no chance for an examinee to adulterate his/her saliva to evade detection in case of a random test. This is also a reason why most employers prefer mouth swab tests as a means for pre-employment drug testing of employees.
- Despite all its positive points, the biggest setback of saliva drug test is the fact that drugs like Ibuprofen, Advil, and Motrin can convey false positive drug test results.
- Pre-planned drug tests are easy to bluff as chronic drug abusers know a variety of ways to fool the testing methods. One of the most common ways for such evasion is smoking, which camouflages the metabolites based upon which the presence of drugs is determined.
Tricks Used to Pass a Mouth Swab Drug Test
- Following are some facts about passing drug tests that are conducted using saliva samples.
- As discussed previously, smoking is one of the easiest ways individuals use to pass a saliva drug test.
- In case the individual is aware of an oncoming saliva drug test, he/she may refrain from consuming any such drugs for at least two to three days prior to the conduction of the test.
- Chewing cleansing tablets and using chemical mouthwashes to maintain oral hygiene is also another way to mask the presence of drugs in your saliva. If drug-testing kits are widely available, so are detox kits that help to at least lower the concentrations of metabolites, if not completely get rid of them.
- The best way of all, however, to pass a mouth swab drug test with 100% accuracy is to stay away from drugs completely. They have long-lasting implications on your health, and these may not be apparent at the time of consumption. Better safe than sorry!
Interestingly enough, I have come across a lot of people who vouch by the “pleasant” effects of narcotics and claim that when taken in moderation, they actually give you some much required relief from physical and mental stress.
A word to the wise – With drugs and narcotic substances, ‘moderation’ is an alien concept most of the time. Just take a look at the official figures of addicts committed to rehab centers every year and you’ll see what I mean. There are a lot of other, cleaner, ways of busting stress and relaxing that come with way more beneficial side effects than narcotic substances. After all, not for nothing are certain substances banned or restricted by the law!
Moreover, these substances and their derivatives are being studied with respect to their applicability in the treatment of certain diseases, but that does not justify the consumption of these drugs by individuals like you and me.
The bottom line is, stay clean to come clean – there is no other foolproof method to evade either the ill effects of drugs or drug screening procedures. Even if you manage to fool the testing kit, you are ultimately fooling yourself into ill health!