As the name suggests, people with a melancholic personality appear sad and gloomy. Read the following traits and characteristics of this personality.
Just as people are distinguished as type A, type B, or type C personality types; psychology also distinguishes people according to their temperaments. These personality types are based on the nature, characteristics, and traits a person portrays. In psychology, they are named as Sanguine, Choleric, Melancholic, and Phlegmatic personality types. Here we will see more on melancholic personality. How are people belonging to this personality type identified? Are they actually always melancholic, as the name suggests?
Melancholy Personality Temperament and Traits
One of the first impressions that one may get on looking at an individual with this personality type is, ‘thoughtful’. These people are natural thinkers, and more often than not, appear as if in a deep thought. They also appear depressed or melancholic most of the time. But, are they actually sad and have a pessimistic attitude? Let us find out by taking a look at the personality traits.
- People belonging to this personality type are thoughtful, reserved, and introverts. They prefer their own company, i.e., love to stay alone rather than mingling with crowds.
- However, at the same time, most of them have a creative and genius mind. They are talented or endowed with knowledge and taste in the fields of arts and creativity.
- As mentioned above, these people often appear sad and gloomy. Their super calm exterior may appear depressing to others.
- The same appearance may also seem as though these people have a lot to worry. This is true in fact. These people tend to worry constantly for imaginable or even unimaginable things.
- The physical movement of these individuals is slow, reserved, cautious, that may even seem calculated. They are very emotional and sensitive.
- It is an extremely rare or even negligent possibility that these people will react or behave in a wild manner ever. They live life in an accepted way and are never even found going on the untrodden path. Rebels do not belong to this personality.
- People belonging to this group are good employees or administrators. They are sticklers to rules, have a repetitive behavior, and cautious nature.
- They are perfectionists themselves and expect the same from others. They work hard and are reliable people.
- Achievements as a whole (personal or group), means a lot to them and they are even found to hoard mementos and souvenirs of every single achievement of theirs.
- One of the other traits, taken as positive or negative, is that these people are extremely cautious and distrustful. They hesitate in making new contacts and are often secretive in nature.
- Their close mindedness makes them narrow-minded, orthodox in their thoughts and stubborn. They hate change and may become sulky when asked to change their ways and habits.
- Cleanliness and orderliness is another positive character traits of people belonging to this personality type. They are good organizers and planners and set high standards for themselves and others.
- These people are sensitive themselves, they are also sensitive to the thoughts and emotions of others. They are charitable and moralistic in nature.
- Lastly, on a lesser brighter side, the introvert personality of these people makes them suffer from low confidence. They hardly speak until spoken to, and hence, are often left alone.
A personality test helps in determining the personality type. Although having this personality type does not lead to any severe concern, these people should be watchful as they are prone to falling into severe depression. Take care!